Cawfee Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cawfee Talk

Our own little place on the net!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!)

Go down 
+2
Kimmy
Court
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Court

Court

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) Empty
PostSubject: Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!)   Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 1:11 am

Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) 924246

Who would like to start us in closing last week's most excellent topic: Humility?! Anyone...anyone??? (from Ferris Buellar's Day Off). Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) 38523 Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) 38523 Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) 38523
Back to top Go down
Kimmy

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!)   Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 11:36 am

Hey Ladies! I'll admit that I'm playing a little catch up with my study. I've been distracted by too many thoughts lately....BUT I will be posting a "seeking him together" question/answer later today or tonight. I hope all of you will be encouraged to do the same.

Paul's flying back home from Portland around 4pm....PLEASE PRAY FOR A SAFE FLIGHT. Last night I had a plane crash dream, and I'm feeling nervous. Also I would love some prayer for my marriage...nothing too serious. I've been feeling pretty down this week. I finally blew out in tears over the phone to Paul while he's in Portland, so tonight we'll be having a big talk. Just pray that it goes well. Changes need to be made and I'm hoping that we actually move forward this time. It seems like whenever we have a "big" talk we stick to the plan for about a week or so, then fall back into old habit. Sound familiar? Thanks Girls!!

Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) 871726
Back to top Go down
Moni

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2008-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!)   Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 2:30 pm

Prayers and good thoughts coming Kimmy's way! Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) 895284

As for the weekly topic... anybody else feeling totally convicted? Yikes! I didn't think I had a whole lot of "pride" until I read through the list of "symptoms." Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) 406122

One of the prideful things from this week's lesson was not being able to share our spiritual needs with others (page 34). I think we're ALL taking the humble approach to that - we're willing to be open and transparent with others as God directs. Of course, I need work in all the other points. I'm not humble at work at all! I grumble about people - mostly at work - and think I'm better than the advertising sales people I work with. Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) 620357

Other ways pride has manifested in my life (page 37)... I am critical and find fault with others (page 33 #2), I am self-protective of my time and my rights (not sure about my reputation, tho - #7), I want to be recognized and appreciated (#11)... etc. How does this affect my relationships? I suppose it's not good. An example... this one just hit me square in the face... I am extremely critical of my older sister. And because of it, I don't want to be around her. I guess that would be a negative impact, huh? Wow. I guess I need some prayer over that one, and quick. She is moving back to town soon, and her and her kids will be living with my mom.

I'm sure I could continue on and find an example for every single point on the "proud people" list. Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) 94922

Thank you, Lord, for forgiving my prideful nature and I pray for your continued grace and mercy in my life!
Back to top Go down
Kimmy

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!)   Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 6:33 pm

I too have felt much conviction over my pride. Didn't realize I had it so bad! This was a real good eye opener for me. So here we go. First I'll tell what stood out the most to me this week. It was Day 3 Truth Encounter: They way we respond to God in moments of conviction reveals the true condition of our heart. This slapped me in the face..in a good way. So here's my answer to seeking him together question #10 If you feel comfortable, share one expression of pride you have been convicted of in this past week. (The willingness to share an answer with the group many be one practical way for you to humble yourself before the Lord)! ANSWER: I'll name just one of many. Most of the time I have to prove that I'm right. It's not that I can't ever be wrong, but I tend to always push to be right over what someone else thinks. I have my parents to thank for that one!
Back to top Go down
shelb

shelb

Number of posts : 40

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!)   Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 12:33 am

Herro Ladies...

I didn't have time to write on Sat...had a bit of A- drama, and just didn't feel like digging into my soul and share...I'm sorry, and promise that I will make up for lost time this week...BUT I did start reading this week, so I'm further ahead then I was the last time...

But I wanted to comment on Kimmys post about her marriage...Sweetness, sticking to a "plan" is hard, heck being a wife and mommy are hard...and kudos to you for speaking up...one thing you might overlook is the small positive steps forward you take each time you go back to "old habits"...I'm not trying to say your marriage issues aren't important, actually it's the EXACT opposite of that...but sometimes we womens have a tendency to NOT see the small steps forward because the issues are so big...each step counts for something, and slowly it sinks in...Those menfolk are hard creatures to train ;)....maybe if you two commit to a date night twice a month, where you can have time set aside to nurture eachother, you can stick to the plan a little easier...this can be a great time to regroup and give eachother a loving "progress report" (bad choice of words) to keep you both on the same path...KWIM?

We be prayin wit you sista child...marriage issues (in any size) are serious when there are no solutions, so YAY! for your "Big Talks" to find a cure!!!
Back to top Go down
Kimmy

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!)   Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 10:10 am

Shelb,

It's so true what you said about not seeing the small steps. I LOVE the idea about the date nights. I'm definitely gonna try that. Thank you so much for your sweet words! Makes me feel better. Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) 311266 We didn't end up having our big talk last night...However we did enjoy each other in another big way! Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) 217242 So maybe tonight we'll have our talk tonight. I'm so glad to have done this lesson on pride this last week though. It's helping deal with stuff between me and Paul, so Praise the Lord for that!
Back to top Go down
Jenn

Jenn

Number of posts : 44

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!)   Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 12:39 pm

Talk about being convicted! Going thru the list of pride issues was an eye-opener! The one area (of many) that really got to me from the list was #7: Are self-protective of their time, their rights, and their reputation. AND THEN, I started to justify it... "Well, I'm a stay-at-home mom and I have to set time aside every day for myself, and I do, do, do for other people, so I deserve it, and I'm important too..." I was feeling all sorts of guilty! It was all me, me, me. Ouch, but in a good way. I needed to hear it.

I'm enjoying the study and have found I'm spending more time lately reading the Bible than I had for almost a year. It has helped me get over some issues I've had with God. Beth Moore says something that is funny, but so true: "We can't keep skipping class and expect to know when He's scheduled a field trip." I was more than just skipping class but was more like flunking out. Doing the study has led me to reading more and really studying to try to get a handle on why I gave up on Jesus. I had a perception that all trials were because I was 'bad' and needed to be 'fixed' in some way and the only way God had to do that was thru trials and troubles. I couldn't even get to my feet from something that left me reeling when another something would come along. (Finding out I had cancer was not the worst thing to have happened, just one of them!) What I've realized in the last week is that, no, not all troubles are because we are 'bad'. Problems help us grow (if we are willing to learn) but the sole purpose of every last trial isn't to make us better. I actually developed an attitude (pride) of, "Well, God, if you think I'm so bad, then so be it. Think what you will!" Yes, a seriously bad attitude! It goes to prove how deceived I'd become. Thanks to God I'm beginning to see some light. Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) 368618

Below is a poem by Beth Moore (can you tell she's a fave!). Thought you guys might like it...

My Name is Pride. I am a cheater.
I cheat you of your God-given destiny...because you demand your own way.
I cheat you of contentment...because you "deserve better than this."
I cheat you of knowledge...because you already know it all.
I cheat you of healing...because you're too full of me to forgive.
I cheat you of holiness...because you refuse to admit when you're wrong.
I cheat you of vision...because you'd rather look in a mirror than out a window.
I cheat you of genuine friendship...because nobody's going to know the real you.
I cheat you of love...because real romance demands sacrifice.
I cheat you of greatness in heaven...because you refuse to wash another's feet on earth.
I cheat you of God's glory...because I convince you to seek your own.
My name is Pride. I am a cheater.
You like me because you think I'm always looking out for you. Untrue.
I'm looking to make a fool of you.
God has so much for you, I admit, but don't worry....
If you'll stick with me
You'll never know.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jennhernandez00
Court

Court

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!)   Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 12:51 pm

WOW girls! I am SO impressed with each of you!!! Thank you for putting on my heart more to ponder. As if there isn't enough after reading "the list!". I will be back to write my quest/answer or share. It was sooo good this week, yes? I mean that list is just...just, what I needed to "check myself before I wreck myself!". The boys are on holiday and we are heading out to lunch/park date so I'll be back later. Thanks Shel for taking the time to show my sisser some understanding and give good advice, loving direction. She is our little baby birdie of the group. But very wise (Godly wisdom and training) for a 20-something. Love ya sis and was praying for you, too. Maybe your romp last night prepared the way for a more open attitude and talk this evening. Men always seem to be in a better place with us after some lovin'. (wink!)

Love to you all today..I am blessed to have this time with you all in my life and am enjoying reading your thoughts, feelings and areas of recognition and growth. XOXO
Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) 369645 ME today!!
Back to top Go down
Dor

Dor

Number of posts : 49

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!)   Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 7:56 pm

Hey there gals!
I am grateful for this lesson. Pride is probably the last on my list
as one of my many "issues" but looks like it is actually #1!
I should just admit something that has been eating me alive and is so silly
when I actually have to type it out and know someone else is going to read it...
ewwww.
I have gone back to massage therapy after a year or so absence and have been back since April. I had a great reputation and had hoped to get alot of my clients back when I returned. When I left massage I recommened another therapist to my clients and alot of them preferred her over me and alot of them did not return to me when I came back. Also, alot of the other staff have been recommending her over me when before, I was top on everyone's list....which burned my brain...when I would hear someone recommend her I would come unglued and worry about how she was better than me, etc...I would also feel happy when she had no one on her books but I did...NICE HUH?!
Well, since we have began our lessons, I have began to just pray that I just do my best for the clients I do have and that her and I can coexist and both be busy if it is His will...well, things have turned around almost instantly. My coworker and I get along so much better and I just been enjoying work and my clients so much more, all thanks to the Lord.
I feel like such a jerk but there it is. I have forgotten to just give it all up to the Lord and let him work throught me. Geez, that is only one dark area of my life..... thank you ladies for being so honest and again, I am so grateful to have friends like you! Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) 712816
Back to top Go down
Court

Court

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!)   Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 12:39 am

I write about my own failures with reluctance but I have the assurance from the Lord that HE will lift me (us) up in honor when we are humble. Court eats humble pie...actually, I choke it down and here is my parital (ugh!) list of prideful ways that lack to reflect the spirit of humility in me.

In my pride I: Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) 11389 .... Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) 88570 ...... Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) 93240 ...... Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) 902433 ...... Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) 64801 ....... Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) 217690 ...... Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) 929820

2. have a critical, fault-finding spirit.
5. have to prove they are right.
6. claim rights; have a demanding spirit.
22. have a hard time sayin, "I was wwwrrrrrooooonnnng (see!) wrong; will you forgive me?"
26. wait for the other to come and ask forgiveness when there is a misunderstanding or conflict in a relationship.

When I read this I think mostly of my attitude and how I choose to relate to my husband especially when there's tension or a conflict between us. I know if I told you girls about certain problems we've had or the things that I have to deal with I could probably persuade you that I'm in the "right" most of the time. (PRIDE)..hah! Even if that were true..even if! I KNOW that I am extremely prideful and have an argumentative (not meek) spirit. What can I say; I come by it quite naturally. I even wanted to be a lawyer years ago. One of my close girlfriends told me that I'm a fighter and I am. Let's just say that I don't let things slide when it is big to me but I have learned in all the years I've been married that you do have to pick your battles or you'll go insane or fight every day with your spouse! Speaking of spouses... Ever have a person in your life that can get under your skin in under 30 seconds when in a conflict with them? That for me would be, my husband. Let me say that to his credit, he will humble himself and apologize loooonnngg before I would consider making such a gesture toward peace and in most of the cases, he doesn't get an apology no matter what I may have done wrong-- really, girls hardly ever! I always feel that what he's said or done to hurt me or the kids is by far worse than that of whatever I said or did in the battle. He has always had to just "eat it." I'm not sure that I want to change that about myself for him, us! I'm just being honest here. That is not good to even write out. Because I'm certain there are times he is owed an apology. Actually, I have said I'm sorry so don't think I never have but in a general way..it's not the norm for me to do so. I do find that I will also fight even if it's escalating to make my points heard, try to direct him to "right" thinking and behavior changes. Like I've confided in Chris, I believe I am "the voice of reason" (to quote my mother.) That is not an easy place to be as a wife. I know how this sounds and it must sound arrogant to you. I can't explain my life in it's entirity but it is the position I (he and I) have put me in. How does one humble herself to honor Christ and gain humility AND offer it up (atleast once and a while!) but not be weak or turn a blind eye to what is flat wrong? I'm not 100 percent sure except to know that I have an all knowing, all powerful God who does and the power of the Holy Spirit to guide my thoughts and decisions and actions toward my mate during hardships together. I may need to offer up more "I'm sorry's" and back down from a battle in order gain entrance into my husband's heart and mind. In turn, the word says that He will be with me and will exalt me. I know this is true because I've put it to the test so to speak with other's. Why is it so difficult to do the same with our husbands?!?!

Seeking Him Together:

What are some ways God opposes the proud?
He pays it back in full. He gives us over to suffer the consequences of our will-- sin. He humbles the proud. Disgrace follows pride as well as destuction. YIKES!

How does God respond to humility?
He will lift us up in honor. He exalts the humble. He is with us when we are humble giving us His grace. He revives us! YEAH!

Like Rehoboam, when I am going my way, when God convicts me of whatever I'm doing wrong, I hope to confess, repent and live right with God and be blessed for right choices. God offered help, grace to both kings and yet one listened and changed while one didn't. I want to listen and change. Not to suffer from my pride and sin.

Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) 49767 Dear Lord, why you openin' a can of whoop ass on me....?! lol!

Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) 924246 Girls...thanks for letting me in. What you wrote here made an impression and I'm thinking of what you each shared. Your sharing makes me feel closer to you! Jenn, I loved the poem and really took time to read slowly, let it soak in. That Beth Moore is one cool lady, so wise and such an inspiration. Her studies are awesome-- I've done half of one! Thank you too for your sharing the truth of your heart's condition and the relief and joy you've found in it's revival and healing towards the Lord. What a praise! And Doe...I know you and I know that you don't spill the beans easily. It was lovely, knowing of your work struggle. Yes, lovely in that your total honesty is a show of trust and is admirable. Any one of us in your shoes would have felt the same way!! It's so great to hear of the progress both in your thoughts of the situation and the changes at work. God is so showing himself in your heart attitude and impoved work life. Now, what can he show for me?! Cuz you know Shiz is a tough nut to crack..or is it she loves to show her crack?! You know, I like to close my time with you girls in a kinda freaky way. LOL! Better go..it's getting late and I'm getting more stupid by the minute. Love to all!

Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) 64801
Back to top Go down
shelb

shelb

Number of posts : 40

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!)   Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 1:48 am

Hi Galz... Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) 785267

I'm still struggling through this lesson...lots to absorb, as I take the time to apply it to myself...but as I'm lagging in da back, I'm having some issues sorting out this study, myself, and the sharin done here...Wheeeeew doggie! *Big, giant gulp*...

Court I hear you about your refusal to voice "I'm ..." Looking in the mirror is tough sometimes! Reading your words was like taking a look at myself in the early years of my marriage...where or where was this study back then! So what did I do?...After years of fighting, I gave in completely and let A- take over...he beat me down emotionally until a shell of Shelynn remained standing...I became the "Submissive Mrs." that "Mrs. ALWAYS Right", never wanted to become...yuck...Ok, why am I referring to myself as the third person?...I'm creeping myself out! LOL Basically I went from one extreme to the other...now, I'm somewhere in the middle learning that I don't need to climb back up and win, win, win all the time...actually I'm liking the land o'non-perfect, I fit so perfectly here...and it's peaceful here knowing I'm fair...

So finding that safe ground to let yourself go and admit "pride" is one tough move! Because, as my experience shows it can become an easy escape when fatigue from fighting sets in...and that's no good either...AGAIN, it's all about trusting in God to be with us every minute of every day...as long as I constantly remind myself that He is here, I'm safe...if that makes sense??

HOWEVA..I do struggle with the me, me, me's...see above and don't worry there's a loooong list to prove it below ;)...Oh my, my, my, my, my...I'm rolling...I was scrolling through the clipart thingys and came across one that tooted Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) 487560 ...hummm...I clicked on it and it reads "jim kirk"....seems the ever so artsy Steiner-Weiner has given us a giggle!!!! Tooo funny...beware of the Kirk Curse!!!!

I will finish up tomorrow...it's late and now I'm giggly...Oh and Ms. Kimmy, here's to connecting the dots ;))
Back to top Go down
Moni

Number of posts : 88

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!)   Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 11:33 am

You girlz ROCK! Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) 265816
Even in the face of adversity, we can still laugh and make jokes with each other. That is truly a blessing!
Back to top Go down
Jenn

Jenn

Number of posts : 44

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!)   Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 4:42 pm

It is so incredible to be in a Bible study that tackles the hard subjects and, as a group, everyone is so transparent. Thanks. In more ways than one I can see myself in you. It's wonderful to be able to experience this with you. I pray God will continue to bless this study and that we all keep on growin'!

xoxoxo,
Jenn
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jennhernandez00
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!)   Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!) Empty

Back to top Go down

Seeking Him Together: Week 2 (anybody?!)
Page 1 of 1