Cawfee Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cawfee Talk

Our own little place on the net!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What are we learning? (warm up)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Court

Court

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2008-10-08

What are we learning? (warm up) Empty
PostSubject: What are we learning? (warm up)   What are we learning? (warm up) EmptyThu Oct 23, 2008 9:32 pm

:study: Verse to meditate upon: Psalm 119:11 I have hidden your word in my heart so that I may not sin against you.

Hello Ladies! What are we learning? (warm up) 924246 Let's begin discussion now about the warm-up (essay!) lesson.

Questions for today:

1) What was God's Word created to do? (a., b., c., and d.)

2) What does the psalmist conclude about the Word of God?
(a.)

3) What promise did Jesus make just before he left to go back to heaven in John 14:25-27 (summarize)

*You may write out the scripture or summarize the verse.

How does what you learned make you feel?
Back to top Go down
Moni

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2008-10-20

PostSubject: Re: What are we learning? (warm up)   What are we learning? (warm up) EmptyFri Oct 24, 2008 1:46 pm

Hey there!
So, I grabbed my Bible and my printed out questions to do last night, thinking I just need to sit down and do it even if the task seems daunting. I'm embarrassed to say that I have not opened my Bible in a very, very long time.
But God has a purpose, and He wanted me to get to my lesson. I have a Women's Devotional Bible and as I was thumbing through Psalms to get to 119, I came upon a devotional called "Comfort in Bereavement." For those of you who don't know me, I'll share a bit: I lost my son Zachary a little over a year ago. He was 17. It has been a struggle everyday for me - my eyes are welling up as I write this... but coming upon that devotional, then proceeding with the lesson... well, I found such comfort and peace. It's amazing what happens when you open your heart.

OK... on to the lesson... I'll get us started on answers...
1a. God's word gives us light and understanding.
Back to top Go down
Kimmy

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: What are we learning? (warm up)   What are we learning? (warm up) EmptyFri Oct 24, 2008 7:19 pm

Here's what I grabbed in thought:

God's word was created for everyone. It's kinda like an instruction manual for how we are to live out our lives. When I read his word it makes me want to be obedient. Not only does it draw me closer to God, but it makes me be more aware of who I am and what I'm to become with the life I'm currently living. Puts me in check. I love how clear scriptures are. They have the power to speak directly to our hearts. No one should be intimidated. The Holy Spirit is there to guide us when we listen. God is our hope, our love, and he brings me to that safe place every time I seek him.
Back to top Go down
Court

Court

PostSubject: response to warm-up lesson   What are we learning? (warm up) EmptyFri Oct 24, 2008 10:47 pm

What are we learning? (warm up) 561946 AMEN (I agree!)..wonderful thoughts and insights girls. Love it! What are we learning? (warm up) 523143
Back to top Go down
Dor

Dor

Number of posts : 49

PostSubject: Re: What are we learning? (warm up)   What are we learning? (warm up) EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 8:42 am

Hello gals!
I am off to work and will reply tonight!
Have a great day! 👽
Back to top Go down
Jenn

Jenn

Number of posts : 44

PostSubject: Re: What are we learning? (warm up)   What are we learning? (warm up) EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 10:16 am

I have to run (very busy day) but will be back to answer the questions later...but I couldn't leave w/o telling Moni how deeply sad I was to read that you lost your son. You are going to be in my thoughts and prayers. I'm reading a book called The Shack about a man losing his daughter, so the emotions are very strong right now, and to know that I have met someone who has lived this is ....I have no words. Please just know you are being prayed for...and thank you for sharing.

Love,
Jenn
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jennhernandez00
Court

Court

PostSubject: Re: What are we learning? (warm up)   What are we learning? (warm up) EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 6:23 pm

Hi lovely ladies! What are we learning? (warm up) 924246 I hope this email finds each of you to be having a nice weekend or should I say, the close of one. I'm finally enjoying a break (from closet cleaning--TWO! and part of the garage (mostly the hub), along with the summer to winter clothes shuffle for myself and the boys)...whew...did that make you sweat just hearing about it? My hubby, Vic has made two drives to Salvation Army and even donated the spare bedroom/office mattress and shopped, bought and brought home a new one! We are jammin today! It feels good but so does sitting here to write to you.

Since I'm sure that we've all had a busy weekend I want to finish off the topic for us from the "what are we learning"... if you would still like to add comment regarding the verses or what spoke to you, please do. I'm sure we would all love to read them.

Moni left off with 1. a

b: Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
c: The scriptures: make you wise and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.
d: The Word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the
thoughts and attitudes of the heart. WOW! I love this one.

2. The psalmist concludes about the Word that if the law wasn't his delight, he would have perished in his affliction.

a. What is God's Word able to do for you?: (my answer) That I can trust God's Word for how I am to live and that it will direct me in living a Godly life.

3. John 14:25-27 (summarized): He, Jesus will leave but God the Father will send the Counselor, the Holy Spirit to teach all things and will remind you of all I've said.
Jesus leaves us with peace and gives us peace. Don't be troubled or afraid.

Let's stop here. I'll be back to see if any of you've been on and will also close the "what are we learning" with some parting words since tomororw we begin to use, "Seeking Him." Are you looking forward to beginning? I sure am!

Love you girls.
Back to top Go down
Dor

Dor

Number of posts : 49

PostSubject: Re: What are we learning? (warm up)   What are we learning? (warm up) EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Thank you Courtney for summarizing everything so beautifully!
I am so grateful for this study and for all of you wonderful ladies. I am
looking forward to sharing what we have learned and so appreciate everyone who is
sharing their experiences and feelings.
Because of some experiences I have had the past couple years, I have had some anger toward God and I have a feeling this study
could get a little raw and humbling for me, something I am honestly not looking forward to.
Anyway.....
Good night all!
Love, Doreen
Back to top Go down
Moni

Number of posts : 88

PostSubject: Re: What are we learning? (warm up)   What are we learning? (warm up) EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 1:10 pm

To Jenn - Thank you for your kind words and the prayers. Even though I haven't been going to church or studying God's word, I know that I could not have made it through the last year without all the prayers and Him holding me up!

To Dor - Don't think for one minute that you're going to be alone in the "raw" and "humbling" department! We're all in this together to support each other through this!
Back to top Go down
Jenn

Jenn

Number of posts : 44

PostSubject: Re: What are we learning? (warm up)   What are we learning? (warm up) EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 1:50 pm

In response to 3a, John 14:27 (along w/ 2 Timothy 1:7) is very personal…if I can share a story…

2 Timothy 1:7 is the first time I KNEW God had spoken to me thru His word. In 2001 I was a federal employee and, after the terrorist attacks, was actually scared to go back to work on September 12. I seriously considered calling in sick! Seriously. At the time, I was reading a short devotional in the morning before going to work. The reading for September 12 just happened to be 2 Timothy 1:7, which says, “For God did not give us a spirit of timidity (fear), but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline (or a sound mind).” It gave me something to sorta hang my hat on, you know? It helped me throughout the day to remember that fear wasn’t of God, and even if something did happen, I was in His care. Plus, I was thrilled to have something that I considered so personal from the Big Guy.

Then, on September 13, the Scripture was John 14:27. It was awesome! God is the Giver of all true peace…if I’d always remember that I’d be great!

In case I lead anyone to believe I’ve been doing so great w/ God since then, I’d have to tell you it just ain’t so, sadly. What are we learning? (warm up) 49767 I’d have to agree w/ Doreen in saying I know this study will be raw for me at times. The last two years have been incredibly difficult. I am on the verge of tears as I write this, but I’ve questioned whether or not I can trust God. There, I said it. Augh. Tears now! I know it is foolishness to even begin to think that way, but if I say otherwise I would not being honest.

There is a song by a Christian band named Lifehouse (which I think is now on the radio…) that I played over and over again because it says so perfectly how I felt at the time. Parts of the words to that song say, “I’m hangin’ out for one more day just to see what you will throw my way.” It's where I was…and am currently working my way back from.

To answer Courtney’s question of why we are doing this study, I’d say I’m doing it to get my head straight with God!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jennhernandez00
Court

Court

PostSubject: Re: What are we learning? (warm up)   What are we learning? (warm up) EmptyFri Oct 31, 2008 12:23 pm

That's what I'm talking about-- that was so great to read, Jenn! Thank you for letting all of us in and sharing in that way. Despite where you've been, you can, we can never move too far from God. He's always right there just waiting for us, right? I know you are reading, "The Shack" as I am also reading it..is it not just so tracking with your heart? I know it is mine and it would for anybody having gone though anything. I love this book! I'm sure Jenn would agree in saying that it is a must read.

I love what you shared about the Word being exactly what you needed at the time you needed it most. It always seems to me that, that happens when I chose to spend a little time reading it. The verse that says that the word is; "living and active!!" WOW...yep, sure is. It works in our hearts and minds, spirits. It's like fuel for our spirit, guidance for our thought life, blood for our hearts and bodies. Thank you God for your Word today and that you know what we places in us that need it at work that only you can know of. Also Jenn.. I appreciate your sharing how His word brought you thru and to a right place (the word is used for correction, too) in your thinking.

HE is good, perfect in His love for us! What are we learning? (warm up) 986465

Have a blessed day today girls. What are we learning? (warm up) 924246
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are we learning? (warm up)   What are we learning? (warm up) Empty

Back to top Go down

What are we learning? (warm up)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cawfee Talk :: Study Hall :: Weekly Lessons-
Jump to: